April 4, 2013

Liz makes a lace scarf

Awhile back, I saw this lace scarf on A Beautiful Mess. I wanted to make it right away, but had no lace. I put it on the back burner and eventually forgot about it.. That is, until my sister gave me that wedding dress I talked about the other day. There is so much lace on that thing! I remembered the lace scarf and knew I had to try it. It didn't turn out exactly how I pictured it in my mind, and looks almost nothing like the girls' on A Beautiful Mess, but it only took a few things and a little amount of time. Here's how I did it:

You'll need about 2 1/2 yards x 1 foot of some lace fabric. (Make sure it's not stiff. Mine was a little stiff, and I think that's why it doesn't sit as well.) You'll also need an embroidery needle, scissors and some white thread.
Sew each side (by hand, obviously) by stitching 2" away from one of the sides every 1/2 inch or so. Secure the end with a knot, and then make sure your ruffles are as big as you want them to be before you secure the beginning knot. Do this exactly the same on the other side. There should be about 8 inches or so between your two sewn lines.
You're finished! Now hang it around your neck and strut your stuff. 
Have a great Thursday everybody!
Love, Liz

14 comments:

  1. aw lovely tutorial! Yeah i really liked the one on Beautiful Mess too!


    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Hannah! A Beautiful Mess is fantastic, isn't it?
      Liz

      Delete
  2. oo I love this, looks great!
    I'll try this and let you know how mine came out :)

    http://www.candyliquor.co.uk
    UK High Street Fashion Blog
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Definitely let me know how it turns out. Make sure to use flat-lying lace!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous scarf! I love lace. What a great way to keep a wedding dress alive.

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same! However, I would like to get some flat-lying lace instead of the stiff stuff under the wedding dress to make a second one. Thanks for stopping by, Juliette!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing the A beautiful Mess one too, but I really like yours! I like the way it's ruffly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I think I'm going to try it again with a different kind of lace. We'll see if it turns out more like the ABM one. Fingers crossed. Thanks for stopping by!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. Wow! It's just beautiful :) I wish I could make something so neatly & lovingly ! You are real master at DIY :) Glad to be here Liz


    Love
    Tanya
    Coveted Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tanya! I try! And you CAN make things so neatly and lovingly! Anyone can; that's why I enjoy blogging about it.
      Liz

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog liz! How the heck are you so crafty! I love the idea of taking something old or used, and creating amazing things with it. I would have never guessed your scarf was made from an old wedding dress! Great job :)
    xx Rachael
    arunawaymuse.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Rachel -- thanks for stopping by mine! :)
      Liz

      Delete
  7. i love lace and i love scarves, so this is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!