April 2, 2013

Liz makes a stuffed dinosaur out of a wedding dress

Awhile ago, my sister gave me her old wedding dress for me to make things with. I decided to try and make some kind of stuffed animal using both the satin-y part and the lace-y part, so I settled on a dinosaur. Here's how I did it:

First, I found a drawing of a dinosaur by googling it. Here's a link to the one I found. 
Then I pinned the pattern to the fabric and cut it out, leaving 1/2" of seam allowance all the way around. Do this twice.
Now cut out eight or ten similar sized triangles. Place two together, and then sew around, leaving the bottom open. 
Turn them inside out. These will be the dinosaur's bony plates on its back. Pin the two pieces of dinosaur right sides together, making sure to pin the triangles along with them. Sew all the way around, leaving enough room to turn inside out.
Now stuff the dinosaur until it's nice and fluffy. Make sure to not over-stuff!
Sew the rest by hand, using a running stitch. Yay, you're done! You've just turned a wedding dress into a stuffed dinosaur! You can also use this same method by skipping the wedding dress and buying some fabric, of course. Have fun with it! 
I hope everyone has a great week!
Love, Liz



14 comments:

  1. This is the most delicate dinosaur I've ever seen in my life.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah! That was the point! Thanks for stopping by, Aki. :)
      Liz

      Delete
  2. hi dear..
    hihi i think its suitable for my daughter new doll :)
    thank u for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that dinosaur is awesome! I don't often hear about people cutting up used wedding dresses but I think it is a really good idea! xx

    http://thehonestfox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chianne! I used my sister's old one, but I always see them for extremely cheap at thrift stores.. So it's like buying a whole lot of fabric for a little amount of money.
      Liz

      Delete
  4. This is incredibly clever! So cute and quirky yet chic and classic!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliette! That's exactly what I was going for. ;)
      Liz

      Delete
  5. this is so cute! i can't believe she let you cut up her wedding dress! that dinosaur would be a really meaningful gift for her kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And I know, right? I was like, "are you absolutely positive?" And yeah! She has one son right now, so maybe I'll give it to him.
      Liz

      Delete
  6. I never ever would have thought of making a dinosaur out of a wedding dress! It's super adorable, and the satin and lace is a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Emily! I'm thinking of a million things to do with this dress!
      Liz

      Delete
  7. Love the dino! Some ideas for future crafting;
    *you could make a lace flower for your hair or a bag!
    *add lace strips to the bottom of a plain skirt to dress it up
    *you could also make a small lace and silk flower and attach it to a ring base.

    can't wait to see what you make with the rest of the dress! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon! As you might have already seen, I also made the scarf and the tulle skirt using the wedding dress. It's been a really fun experience! Thank you so much for the suggestions!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!