April 5, 2013

Liz makes over a thrifted basket

I've had this little basket for awhile; I think my sister got it from a thrift shop for me as a fun housewarming gift when Tyler and I moved to Albuquerque. While it has been sitting on my bathroom shelf for a few months, I was thinking of something fun to do with it. Today I transformed it with the aid of my trusty hot glue gun. Here's how you can do the same:

You'll need some fabric (I just used scrap fabric, probably 1/4 yard), a sheet of felt, a piece of cardboard, (I used a cracker box), a hot glue gun, a pen/marker and some scissors. First, cut a circle of fabric slightly larger than the lid of the basket. Using your hot glue gun, glue the fabric to the inside of the lid.
Next, you'll need a long strip of fabric, long enough to go all the way around the side of the basket. Also, make sure it's taller than the basket. Glue to the side.
Now glue the pieces not glued into the inside and onto the bottom. Grab your piece of cardboard and trace the bottom of the basket onto it. Following the trace line, cut it out.
Grab some more of your fabric and cut a circle slightly bigger than the cardboard circle you just cut out. Using your hot glue gun again, glue the fabric to the cardboard. Now glue the fabric-covered cardboard piece onto the bottom of your basket.
You can stop here, or you can choose to add something on top. I chose the latter and made a flower out of felt. You can see the tutorial for one of those here. Glue it on top and you're done!
Put all your trinkets in it, sit back and admire your hard work. Cute, right?
Have an absolutely fantastic weekend!
Love, Liz

12 comments:

  1. Great post! You've done a really good job :)

    www.malefashionuk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much David! It was pretty easy too!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness the before is so funny. What a lovely update!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, it was. I actually kind of liked it though; it was quirky! Thanks so much Juliette!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Awesome job. I hope you kept the decorations on the top of the basket, they are kind of cute :)

    -Nikita
    allmyfalt.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually liked the old version! It was a quirky in a cute way. It was time for a change, though. :)
      Liz

      Delete
  4. ooo sooo cute!!!

    lve your blog

    wanna follow each other<?? kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cute! I love the red and white stripes! Flower on top makes it perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! I like the red and white stripes too. It goes well in my bathroom. :) I thought without the flower it was pretty plain, but I'm glad I remembered making those felt flowers! I think it's pretty darn cute.
      Liz

      Delete
  6. This looks so good - well done! That's definitely on my 'must-do-this-one-day' list!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kati! Definitely try it out. Pretty cheap project!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!