August 15, 2013

Liz makes a no-sew pet bed

When Tyler and I were in Kentucky, his mom gave me a boat load of fabric. She gave me three or so yards of this awesome, fuzzy, purple, cheetah-print which I thought would be perfect for a cat bed! I made it for my friend's cats and one of them actually liked it... Unlike the other cat, but that's okay. :) Here's how I made it and how you can make it too:
Cut out two pieces of your fuzzy fabric way bigger than you think you'll need. My pieces were 30" x 17" and I thought that would be way too big, but I definitely could have gone larger. You'll also need a significant amount of poly-fil and a pair of scissors.
Place the pieces wrong sides together and cut slits all the way around. Also cut a square out of the corners, like the picture below.
You'll want your strips to be 1" apart and at least 4" long, but probably longer.
Tie the strips almost all the way around, but make sure to leave a few untied.
Stuff with some poly-fil and tie the rest of the strips together. I didn't stuff it all the way just because I figured a cat would be more comfortable with a little dip/well in the center of the pet bed.
Now all you have to do is put a cat on it! This cat's name is Binx! The orange cat in the first photo is named Cato. They're so cute, but gosh, I probably butchered the spelling of both of those names... But they're cats and they'll get over it.
What a cutie. I think someone likes her new bed!
I hope everyone has a great weekend! School starts back up for me on Monday, so I'm going to try and relax before starting all of that again. I'm actually excited, but a little nervous. Wish me luck!
-L

11 comments:

  1. Wow I never thought to use that fabric for a kitty bed, great idea. Wonder if Razzle would like one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! You definitely should make one for Razzle. Even if he doesn't sleep on it, he'd probably still play with it!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. So cute and simple! I would make a giant one for my dogs!

    xo, Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Juliette! My mom's dogs have a giant (and heavy) pillow they sleep on and I was thinking of making a pillow case for it. I don't have (and don't want to pay for) enough stuffing to fill a giant one for dogs. :/ But old or thrift shop pillows would work great!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. It's so fun! I have some extra fabric, totally gonna do it :)
    Kisses
    Sofia G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sofia! Definitely do it and then let me know how it turns out!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. omg i have never seen a cat stick its tongue out like that, hahaha too cute! As a crazy cat lady, i love that you made a cat bed. I don't think my cat would like it though, she prefers laying on paper an cardboard. she's such a weirdo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's super cute, right? I love that picture. And that's too bad. This cat loved that bed!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. First off, this is my FAVORITE blog post, because #1 I am the crazy cat in the making and #2 I have lots of fuzzy fabric in my basement somewhere! I think that I will make this bed for my two cats, Cookie and Miss Meow! I hope that they will like it! Thanks for your post! And good luck with school on Monday (mine starts Tuesday!)

    <3 Summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. there so cute:')
    mind checking out my blog?
    idkmatilda.blogspot.com ♡

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!