August 17, 2013

Liz makes Breaking Bad pillows

Since we're quite possibly addicted to the hit TV show Breaking Bad, and have been wanting to make some kind of craft to honor its last season, all this week, Tyler and I were wondering how I could make some awesome Breaking Bad pillows. I wanted to replicate the element logo well enough so it would be recognizable. I decided to make it a pillow with actual sides, similar to another pillow I've made before, and to make them white, as to imitate the white borders on the logo elements. Here's how I made it and how you can make it too. I've also attached a PDF for the pattern and etc. (Kudos to Tyler for making the PDF and the awesome graphics!)
You'll need four pieces of 14.5" x 14.5" dark green fabric and eight pieces of 3" x 14.5" white fabric. I like to cut mine out with the pinking shears my mom gave me for my birthday. ;)
First, you'll need to take a look at this PDF. It contains the pattern (for the letters and numbers) and an awesome diagram Tyler put together with where to put what letters / numbers. After you print out the PDF, go ahead and cut out the characters and pin them to some felt. Cut out the characters.
Using the diagram as a reference, use some tacky glue to glue the characters to one piece of green fabric. Remember to also allow for the 0.5" of seam allowance.
With your sewing machine, sew the letters to the green fabric.
As for the numbers, I preferred to sew them on by hand. You can do whatever you want, but I just figured since they were so small, it would be easier this way.
Pin four of the white pieces of fabric right sides together to the Br piece. Sew.
Now sew the pieces of white fabric together by the corners. 
Get one of your other green pieces of fabric and pin (and then sew) to the boxy part. Make sure to leave a gap. Of course, Everything will still be inside out at this point, so that means when you're finished sewing, the "Br 35" will be on the inside. Go ahead and clip all of the corners while you're at it.
Turn inside out and poke out all the corners. Grab some poly-fil and start stuffing.
Using a ladder stitch, stitch up the hole you left earlier.
Now all you have left to do is make the other one! It took me awhile to make these pillows, probably totaling eight hours. That eight hours includes everything though, like buying the supplies, Tyler making the PDF and graphics, printing things out, trying things out and actually making the end product.
I hope you give it a try, and if not, I would love to sell these. After putting a picture of them on Facebook, I already had a buyer. These original ones, however, are for our couch. :)
Sorry I'm not sorry for the extremely long post. Have yourselves a great rest of the weekend. Feel free to pin a picture or two from this blog on Pinterest while you're at it. :)
-L

14 comments:

  1. ive never seen the show, but these are friggin awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well take my word for it: it's awesome!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. I'm not a TV person by any means, but my roommates last year were addicted to this show. And your pillows came out like, way amazing! Great job!

    xo, Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an awesome show! We have to go to friends' houses to watch these new episodes because we don't have cable. Haha.
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I like TV and pillows, I might have to watch this show! Lovely pillows good work!

    <3 Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty crazy show, Summer! Be forewarned! Haha. Thanks for stopping by!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much Marlen! We love it too; it's so great right?
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I must say those cushions are awesome. Bravo!
    Is there any way that I might be able to purchase them?

    Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steven! Thanks! I just made another pair last night, and sold them on my Etsy shop literally seconds after I posted them. I have a ton of fabric so I can make some more, but I've been super busy. If you're really interested, you can follow my Etsy shop or I can email you when I have a new set up. https://www.etsy.com/shop/EssentialHandmades?ref=si_shop
      Liz

      Delete
  6. Hi Liz, thanks for getting back to me.
    I am really interested, I'd love those cushions at my house. If you could email me when I can buy them, that would be great, I'd really appreciate that.
    Email: strawz@live.com

    Steven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might take awhile, as I'm taking 18 credit hours right now and am extremely busy with that and maintaining my blog. But I definitely will let you know!
      Liz

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ركن سيف هى إحدا المؤسسات التى تقدم خدمات خيالية وابداع يتسلق القمة يوم بعد يوم نحن من المؤسسات التى تتميز بالإبداع فى العمل والتميز الدائم وهى شركتنا مكونة من موقع ويب وهو
    (شركة ركن سيف)
    ومن الخدمات التى اعتمدت من خلال شركتنا هى تسليك المجارى فنحن نقوم باخلاء وحل جميع مشاكل المجارى المنتشرة فى الاماكن العامة والخاصة والحكومية ونساعد فى القضاء على مشاكل انسداد المجارى فى الاحساء
    (http://www.roknelasas.com/%D8%B4%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%A9-%D8%AA%D8%B3%D9%84%D9%8A%D9%83-%D9%85%D8%AC%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%89-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%AD%D8%B3%D8%A7%D8%A1/)
    كذالك تقدم ركن سيف خدمات مكافحة الحشرات باحترافية وبخدمة ممتازة تقوم الشركة باستعمال اطيب انواع المبيدات واحسنها جودة ومن الناحية المادية فهى اسعارها خيالية جداً تقدم عروض يومية على رش المبيدات هى تقوم بالقضاء على جميع الحشرات التى تتواجد دائماً فى المنزل بدون الحصول على اى مضاعفات موقع الويب

    مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
    ركن سيف الغنى عن التعريف يتواجد الـ24 ساعة فى خدمة عملائة الكرام فهى بالتاكيد الشركة الاولى فى الاحساء التى تقدم مثل تلك الخدمات بكل ذالك الاحتراف

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!