February 2, 2013

Liz Makes a word pillow

Today was pretty busy, despite not having school and not leaving the house except to check the mail. I rearranged the apartment and did some serious winter-spring cleaning. I also made a pillow with felt words. As you know, I enjoy making things with felt, like this pillow for example. Have you ever seen Supertroopers? This quote is from that movie and it's hilarious. 

This is how I made my pillow: I printed out the quote and cut out the letters, then pinned them to a sheet of felt. 
Then I tacky glued the words onto a piece of square fabric. For my fabric, I used an old dress from the thrift shop.
Then I sewed the words on. I tried using both hand sewing and machine sewing and decided machine sewing was the way to go. It wasn't as easy to control, but it was a heck of a lot faster. Afterwards, I placed the fabric right sides together with another piece of fabric of the same size and sewed them together, leaving a small opening. After turning it right side out, I filled the pillow with stuffing and whip stitched the opening closed.
How do you think it turned out? 
I'm thinking of making some more, for friends and family. What quotes would you put on your own word pillow?
Love, Liz

42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Emily! It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted, but I'm pleased with the result. Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. I'm always surprised at how quickly u finish your projects, I like it. Hope you're havin' a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Liz!

    Margeaux
    margeauxknight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah this have been my obsessed for a while! love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty clever! I like it!

    xxLiora
    lioraatsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is totally cute! It's such a good idea and it looks fun and simple! I'm so going to have to do this...

    Christen
    An Unordinary Hello

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christen! You totally should. And when you do, let me know how it turns out for you!
      Liz

      Delete
  7. This quote is perfect! Did you cut the letters pot with scissors? The cutting is very precise. I'd love to see this Marilyn Monroe quote on a pillow - "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did cut them out with scissors. It took awhile, but it was worth it. I think for now I'd like to stick with shorter quotes, otherwise I'd have to make a much larger pillow. ;) That's a beautiful quote though! Maybe I'll make a couple and they'll say "Imperfection is beauty" and the other will say "Madness is genius." Thanks for the idea!
      Liz

      Delete
  8. Love this! #crazycatlady ;)

    http://threeinchstitch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha awesome! Glad you like it. My boyfriend and I are actually allergic to cats, but we love the movie Supertroopers where the quote originated from.
      Liz

      Delete
  9. Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing

    check out my cath kidston giveaway 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so cute! I saw a t shirt with that slogan, but the pillow looks more fun to have it! Thank you for the sharing :)

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen it around too. It's pretty cute. Thanks for stopping by!
      Liz

      Delete
  12. This pillow looks so cute and I like the text you put on it!
    I made a pillow with a felt text on it for my godchild!Gonna blog about it soon,so feel free to visit and check it out!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. So clever and cute! Great DIY!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww I really want to get back into my crafting! Since I've got back to work after xmas I feel like I've not had a spare minute to think.. I've got some gorgeous cotton to make a top from though so I really should get to work!

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crafting is really the best. I always try to make time for it, even when it feels like I'm stressed to the bone. It's so relaxing!
      Liz

      Delete
  15. This post looks really great!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is SO adorable! It reminds me of "I mustache you a question but I'll shave it for later". Which would look great on a tshirt. Actually I probably saw it on a tshirt. Anyways, love this, writing it down.

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that is hilarious! Thanks for stopping by.
      Liz

      Delete
  17. I am a cat lady and this makes me meowy happy :3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!