January 15, 2014

Liz makes a crocheted coffee mug cozy

I've been wanting to crochet some mug cozies for awhile now. I finally figured out a way to make one easier than the traditional version. I found some cozy looking yarn in my stash and went to work. Let's make a mug cozy! First, you'll need some yarn, a crochet hook that will work well with the yarn, a sewing needle, thread, a button and a coffee cup.

First, chain stitch as many stitches as tall as your coffee cup is.
Then single crochet in the second chain from the hook. Single crochet the rest of the row. Chain one and turn.
Continue doing that...
...Until it's long enough to go around the coffee cup.
But don't tie off yet! Continue crocheting around the edges of the cozy.
And when you get to the other end, you're going to chain ten or so stitches and then slip stitch into the fourth stitch from the hook
Continue single crocheting all the way around and then tie off. Weave in your ends.
Now grab a button and sew it on.
Now place it on your mug and you're ready to go! Now you can keep your coffee warm without burning your mitts.
Have a great week everyone!
Liz

9 comments:

  1. I've made sweaters for my cats...but never for a mug!! This is super cute!!! Plus I love all of the colors that are used!!

    <3 summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so adorable! i really love the colors. I drink a cup of tea everyday, i think i need one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan on blogging about others I've made.
      Liz

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful! I've been looking for one that didn't require double pointed knitting needles and that I'd actually be able to do. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! I hope it works out for you!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Ah! beautiful. Are these available for sale too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, thanks so much!!!! I love the step by step tutorial with pictures approach that you've taken, makes it do-able for newbies like me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!