May 4, 2013

Liz makes a crocheted necklace

This past week, Tyler's mom came to visit and she taught me how to make these cool crochet necklaces. She even gave me some yarn and a ton of beads to make my own! So here I am, now on my fourth necklace, and I thought I'd share the tutorial with you! Basically, you'll be crocheting three strands of crochet thread with beads on them and then braid them together. Ready for the full tutorial? Alright, here we go.

You'll need beads (I used light and dark green), pliers, a beading tool, a size G crochet hook, super glue, scissors, two lobster hooks, a clip and some ladder crochet thread. (You could also use different kinds of crochet thread/yarn, as long as the beads will fit!)
First, you'll need to put a whole bunch of beads on your crochet thread. You can do that by using a beading tool. It's basically thick floss in the shape of a giant needle. Put the crochet thread through the beading tool, put beads on the end part and then pull them onto the crochet thread. Be sure to put plenty of 'em on there.
You're going to be making three strands of crochet thread. Make sure they're all the same length! That's pretty important. I made all of mine about 20 inches.
For the first strand:
Make a slip knot, chain ten, add bead, chain five, add bead, chain seven, add bead, chain five, add bead, chain seven, add bead, chain five, add bead, etc.. Until you reach your desired length. After that, chain ten stitches.
For the second strand:
Make a slip knot, chain ten, add bead, chain seven, add bead, chain five, add bead, chain seven, add bead, chain five, add bead, chain seven, add bead, chain five, add bead, etc.. Until you reach your desired length. After that, chain ten stitches.
For the third strand:
Make a slip knot, chain ten, add bead, chain six, add bead, chain six, add bead, chain six, add bead, chain six, add bead, chain six, add bead, etc.. Until you reach your desired length. After that, chain ten stitches.
After you have all three done, tie them in a knot, right before the first ten chains start. Braid them together until your reach the end of the last ten chains and tie another knot.
This is what it should look like after you're done braiding:
Now grab your lobster hook, and attach it onto the end of the necklace, right before the knot you just tied. Clamp it down using your pliers, then clamp the little hook down. If you want, you can use super glue before clamping to make it extra secure. Tie your ends in a knot again and either hide your ends or cut them off with some scissors.
Now do the same for the other side, but before you clamp the little hook part down, add the clip.
You're done! Now put it on your neck and prepare to get a ton of compliments.
The first one I made, I used a simple, thin yarn and decided to use yellow/gold beads. I didn't braid the strands, and added a charm instead.
I like that one a whole lot! This tutorial is basically a base tutorial, meaning you could do a whole bunch with it, like add charms, make more or less strands, add more/less beads, etc.
Thanks again to Tyler's mom for giving me a ton of supplies and I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Love, Liz




12 comments:

  1. Awesome tutorial :) I think I'll try to do this soon :)

    allaboutjoann.blogspot.com

    -JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome -- let me know how they turn out. I think I'll be making all kinds!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. You are doing an awesome job, I'm so glad we had time to work on a project together. Can't wait to see what you come up with next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! I want to make a whole lot more!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Such lovely. Eye catching colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet and creative, as always! Seriously Liz, you're my role model!

    Have a great week,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Kati! :D Have a great week yourself!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, this might be one of my favorite things you have posted! So so cool!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is the coolest yarn!! and i LOVE the necklace with the tree pendant-beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's pretty cool too. My boyfriend's mom just gave it to me -- awesome right? And thanks again! That's my favorite one so far too!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!