January 12, 2013

Liz makes a camera pillow: the tutorial

Yesterday, I posted about the camera pillow I made. I got enough requests for a tutorial so I made one! :)


What you'll need:
felt
scissors
thread
needle
sewing machine
button
stuffing

I used the felt sheets you can get from just about any craft store. With two different colors, cut a strip of the one you'll use for the top, and cut the same amount off of the bottom piece. You do this so you'll end up with a rectangle-shaped camera. You will be making two of these dual-colored rectangles. One for the front; one for the back.



Pin and sew those babies together. Afterwards, open what you just sewed and sew a large zig-zag stitch with your sewing machine. Do this for both the front piece and back piece. Afterwards, place the back piece aside.


Cut out shapes. I cut out two similar-sized rectangles, one very small circle, one medium-sized circle and one large circle. I traced some glassware to get the circle perfectly round.


Hand stitch the pieces onto the felt.


Cut out four rectangles for the sides of the pillow.


Place right sides together, and sew on!


After you have all of the sides sewn on, sew the sides together like so.


Grab the back piece you set aside earlier. Place right sides together, pin and sew some more!


Leave a hole in the bottom of the pillow so you can stuff it.


Don't turn it inside-out just yet! This is the time to add a large button to act as the "shutter button."



Now turn the pillow inside-out and begin stuffing. After you think you've stuffed enough, stuff even more! (Excuse my pajama pants...)


Now it's time to hand stitch your seam closed. I use this method because it's hidden more than a whip stitch. Don't forget to pull tight!


Knot your ends and you're done!





Now you have a camera shaped pillow!

This pillow is now available in my Etsy shop, Essential Handmades. Check it out!



Love, Liz

31 comments:

  1. I can't get over how cute these pillows are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job! You certainly have talent.

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! I really want to make it- a trip to the fabric shop is needed, I think...
    Katie xx
    http://gravityandshe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make it (and you totally should) you should definitely let me see it when you're done!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. such a great idea! good job! Your blog is great <3

    Do you want to follow each other? :)
    http://fantasyfashioned.blogspot.de/

    xx ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's SOOOOOO so cute! I'm in love with your pillow - just adorable! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so great, thank you for sharing! i might adapt the dimension into an ipad case. fun.

    amanda
    http://thingstoholdandstir.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that'd be adorable! You should let me know how it turns out!
      Liz

      Delete
  7. your stitches are so clean! i would be worried that mine, even on the machine, would be so visibly wonky. great tutorial. i have so many friends that would love one of these for their birthdays.
    xo
    writeslikeagirlblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take out a few stitches on the first one, believe me!
      Liz

      Delete
  8. I want my sewing machine to be less broken :\

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for dropping by. Although, I'd have to say my life looks more like a train wreck at the moment ;)

    I'm loving this diy pillow, and think it'd also make an adorable little bag for kids stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whaaaat this is awesome!
    I wish I could sew but unfortunately even with the sewing machine it looks like a toddler did it ;)
    Great blog by the way!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz, thanks for dropping by my blog :) i wish i know how to sew. this is such a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted a sewing machine, These crafts are beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so adorable!! How creative!! Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!!

    Jenna @ rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO cute! Perfect for a kid's room. xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow what a cute idea! x, Kat

    www.loveandace.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! since you have are gifted in the creative department, do you think you could maybe make a tutorial on a creative idea to store makeup brushes? i have a couple on my counter, but i don't want them to lay there and get dirty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily! I recently made a tutorial on a make-up basket. I made it out of newspaper, and I keep my brushes in a mason jar. http://liz-makes.blogspot.com/2013/01/liz-makes-newspaper-basket.html

      Delete
  17. Super cute! :) love the boldness of the red and blue!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my this is beyond adorable :)) I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog, it's so creative and cool :)
    You definitely have a new follower, if you want to, come and check out my blog, maybe we could follow each other :)

    http://smilesnapsparkle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I make this even if I dont have a sewing machine? Can everything be hand stitched?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pin and sew those babies together. Afterwards, open what you just sewed and sew a large zig-zag stitch with your sewing machine.



    I dont get what you mean by this can you please explain?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!