May 27, 2014

Let's Bake a Movie: Peeta's Cheese Buns from The Hunger Games

I've decided to start a new feature on the blog called Let's Bake a Movie where I bake/cook recipes from movies I've seen (and liked). I'm going to try to do this as often as possible and I would love any suggestions you might have. Anyway, let's get to the recipe.
Today, I made Peeta's Cheesy Buns from Catching Fire, the second book/movie of The Hunger Games. They were so good. They're stuffed and topped with yummy cheeses; they basically ooze deliciousness. They're made from scratch, but don't let that scare you; they're fairly easy to make and don't take too many ingredients.


"From the bag I pull two fresh buns with a layer of cheese baked into the top. We always seem to have a supply of these since Peeta found out they were my favorite."


—Katniss, 
Catching Fire, chapter 10.




For these oh-so cheesy buns, you'll need the following ingredients:
1 cup warm-hot water
1 packet of active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast*
A couple dashes of salt
1/2 cup vegetable (or olive/canola/coconut) oil
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 block of mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
A few shakes of parmesan cheese

*This is optional. I had a little bit, so I threw some in there. It will give your bread an even more cheesy taste.

Mix your water and active dry yeast together. Let this sit for about five minutes.
Mix in the sugar, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt and oil next. Slowly add in your flour, one cup at a time. You'll need to start mixing it with your hands. I didn't take a picture of this step because it was kind of a big mess. You'll need to sprinkle a little flour on your counter and start kneading your dough. Knead it for awhile, about 10 minutes.
Place your kneaded dough in a well-oiled bowl. I used the same bowl I mixed everything in.
Place a towel over your bowl and let sit for 30 minutes, preferably in a warm place.
Mine just about doubled in size, so that's what yours should do too. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Separate the dough into several equal pieces. I got about 11.
Get one of your pieces and place a chunk of mozzarella inside. Squeeze/pinch the dough so the cheese stays inside. Do this with each dough piece and place them pinched-side-down on a greased baking sheet.
Place shredded cheese and parmesan on top of each dough piece.
Bake for about 15 minutes, or until slightly golden. If you brush a little melted butter and crack a little fresh pepper on each one, it brings the buns from great to fantastic.
Hope you enjoy this new feature and feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments!
Love, Liz

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Also, I adore Peeta and this idea is so fun! This is so random, but I always wondered what Turkish Delight from the Chronicles of Narnia tasted like. Maybe I should order some online! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I still have a couple left and I'm thinking that I should just eat them for breakfast...
      I've seen a few different recipes around the web on Turkish Delight. I would love to make my own version. Thanks for the suggestion!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. mmm these look so good, i love this idea! i actually bought my boyfriend a hunger games cook book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very good! That cookbook sounds awesome!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!