May 22, 2014

Liz makes a(nother) reversible tote bag

I absolutely love this fabric. I bought both of these to make my whale pillows, but I just have so much of it, I knew I could sacrifice some for a tote bag. If you've been a reader for awhile, you may be aware of the fact that I've made a reversible tote bag before. Now, before you start yelling at me for rehashing old projects, just know that this project is kind of different. For this tote bag, I used one of my old t-shirts to make the handles!

To make the tote bag, follow my previous tutorial. To make the handles, keep reading!
First, you'll need to get a t-shirt. Cut the top off right at the underarms and the botom off just enough to cut the seam off. Now you have a tube. Now you're going to cut 1/2" wide strips, but not all the way; leave a couple of inches. Now you're going to turn the tube on its side and cut diagonally. This way, you'll have a long piece of t-shirt "yarn" without having knots in the middle.
After you cut it, pull on it. This will make it look more like yarn.
Now cut four pieces of your t-shirt "yarn", each about 50" long. You're going to make a fish-tail braid. In order to make this easier, I taped all four strands on my wall. After I finished braiding, I sewed both ends so they wouldn't unravel, and then sewed twice in the middle and cut between them. Now you have two strands, each about 20" long.
Now you'll just follow the same exact directions from my previous tutorial to make the rest of the bag.
I absolutely love it. I can't wait to just carry it around with me everywhere. I think these handles will hold up for quite awhile, despite being made of an old t-shirt. What do you think? Let me know in the comments.
Love, Liz

4 comments:

  1. This such an inventive DIY! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! They took kind of a long time, but I think the end result was totally worth it. :)
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!