January 9, 2014

Liz makes an adjustable apron

Yesterday, I came across The Purl Bee and this apron tutorial and thought it was about time to make myself a cute but useful apron. I've seen aprons with frills and ruffles, but decided I didn't need frills and ruffles, because I'm messy. I literally always spill food on myself every time I eat, so you can imagine how my kitchen and myself get when I'm in the kitchen. Another reason I love this apron is because it's adjustable, and depending on the fabric choice, it's totally uni-sex. These would make great father's day or birthday gifts. My tutorial is slightly different, so here's how I did it:

You'll need 1 1/4 yards of fabric for the apron, 1/2 yard of fabric for the pocket and the strap, a sewing machine, scissors, measuring tape and some sewing pins. I also used a rotary cutter and a cutting mat, but those are optional. (I got the rotary cutter for Christmas and I love it!)
Cut your fabric 39" x 26" and fold where it's 39" x 13".
Now you're going to cut your fabric where these lines are.
Open up the fold and hem the sides, the top and the bottom by folding over the edges twice, pinning and sewing. Leave the angled sides be.
Now we're going to start on the pocket. Cut a 12" x 8" rectangle.
Fold over one of the 12" sides twice, pin and sew.
Fold over the other three sides and pin to the middle of the apron. Use an iron to hold the folds if need be.
If you want multiple pockets, pin straight lines where you want the pockets to be and sew.
Now lie your apron on a flat space, right side down. Fold the angled edges over half an inch and then an inch and a quarter. Pin and sew.
Now cut a long 90" x 2 1/2" piece of fabric. But if you can't do that, attach several smaller pieces together by sewing them, like I did.
Fold the long strip in half and sew, leaving a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I also cut the seam allowance afterwards with a pair of pinking shears.
Using a pointy stick or knitting needle or a safety pin, turn the tube inside out.
Feed the strip of fabric through the tube you had created when you sewed the angled side down. Make sure the strip is even on both sides.
You could also use some kind of 1" webbing if you had some, but since I already had this white fabric, I wasn't going to buy anything that wasn't needed.
Isn't the apron super cute? I love it!
Thanks for stopping by!
And happy sewing!
Liz

14 comments:

  1. hi, this is darling. and i wish i was crafty! XO

    welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute; I love the chevron pattern you chose! Aprons are about the only thing I feel confident I can sew. How are your New Year's resolutions coming? I think one of the most popular ones was to save more money this year, but if you're like me you don't want to sacrifice looking good to do it. We're a shaving company called Dorco and we'd love to let you know how much you could save on your razors and still look amazing. Our razors cost up to 70% less than leading brands. But that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice the quality of your shave. Read what others think about our products and our prices at DorcoUSA.com. Thanks again for the awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving such a darling comment on my blog!
    This is a really sweet idea and great outcome - I'll keep that in mind next time I really need a gift for someone!

    Have a great day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the red chevron print for the apron!

    Emily
    ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chose such a great print and color! From the look of your blog, it seriously looks like you can make anything and everything. {Color me jealous! #ICantEvenSewAButton} I must also add that bangs look really cute on you. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun apron. I guess I need to learn to cook so I could wear this ;)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is SO CUTE! i might need you to make me a fall/halloween apron to match my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!