June 20, 2013

Liz makes a simple strapless elastic-waistband dress

Yesterday, I got a package of fabric from my mom. Some of it was vintage (there was an old tag on one of the fabrics!) and some of it newer. I can't thank her enough! She included four patterns and the book, The Great Gatsby, in there too. What a cool mom. Anyway, I knew I had to make something immediately. If you follow me on Instagram, you already know that I drew a rough draft of a dress that popped into my head last night. If you don't follow me on Instagram, you should because I take pictures of cool things like drawings of dresses. Here's how I made my drawing become a reality!
You'll need about two yards of fabric (I'm not exactly sure how much, because my mom gave me a whole bunch), 1 1/2" elastic, 1/2" elastic, thread, scissors, a safety pin and a sewing machine. First, cut a piece of fabric, that's as long as you want it (below the knees, above the knees, etc.) and wide enough to go around your waist plus four inches or so. Place right sides together, and sew with a 1/2" seam allowance. Now you have a tube!
Next, cut a piece of 1 1/2" elastic to go around your waist snugly, but not too tight. (Are you seeing similarities between this dress and the tulle skirt yet?) Using a zig-zag stitch, sew the two ends together to make an elastic tube.
Pin the right side of the elastic tube to the right side tube you made earlier. (Right sides together!) First, pin the seam of the fabric tube to the zig-zag part of the elastic tube you just made. Then pin the opposite end. Then pin the sides, then everything between that and so on.
Using a zig-zag stitch still, sew where you just pinned. Be sure to pull both ways using both hands to ensure stretchability. Is that a word?
Now you have a skirt. Hem it! Fold it under 1/2" and fold it under 1/2" again. Pin and sew!
Now is the time to make the top. Cut a piece of fabric as wide as your bust plus four inches and 14" long. Pin it the exact way you pinned the elastic to the skirt tube earlier. (Right sides together!) Now you sew! Make sure to use a zig-zag stitch and pull both ways with both hands again.
Now turn your attention to the raw edge of the top part of the dress. Fold it over twice, like you did earlier with the hem of the skirt, but instead of sewing all the way around, you'll leave an inch long gap open. Grab your 1/2" elastic (it should be as long as the circumference of your right above your bust plus an inch), pin a safety pin on it, and drag it through the casing you just sewed.
Sew the ends together and distribute the gathers evenly. Sew the gap you used to put the elastic in closed.
You're done! Now slap a belt on it and take some pictures.
If you look at my drawing, you can see some straps that I drew. After I made the casing for the top of the dress, I decided I'd rather have it strapless. I think the next one I make will have straps, though. 
Happy sewing!
L

10 comments:

  1. I think it's so cool how you can make clothes for yourself! I would love to be able to design and make my own clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! You should give it a try.. Sometimes sewing can be challenging and frustrating, but it's so worth it when you create something that you can wear! Oh, and it's especially awesome when someone asks where you got your outfit, and you can say, "I made it!" :)
      Liz

      Delete
  2. This is so cute, it reminds me of a skirt that I made a few years ago, I think that I will make this dress with some coordinating fabric so it matches to skirt!

    <3 summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made my tulle skirt pretty much the same way too. That would be fun!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Lady you have got talent! I absolutely love this! And you have a cool mom indeed! Sounds like the perfect care package!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Juliette! And yeah, my mom totally rocks.
      Liz

      Delete
  4. You did such a great job - I really love that pattern!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!