June 10, 2013

Liz makes a simple crocheted star

The other day, when I asked for crochet project ideas, a devoted follower of mine, Summer, (Hi, Summer!) said I should try crocheting some small stars! I had never tried it before, because let's be honest, that sounds hard. I gave it a go, and after looking at a few different tutorials, I made my own. It was honestly one of the easiest things I've ever crocheted. I could probably crochet one in 60 seconds now! Anyway, it's really simple, and here's how you can do it too.
First, you'll need to chain four. Slip stitch into the first chain to make a ring. I tried using the magic ring/loop, but it didn't work as well.
Now, you'll need to chain four again. After that, single crochet three times down the chain of four. This is your first point! Now to secure it, single crochet into the hole you created in the first step. 
To make the second point, chain four, and make three single crochets in the four chains you just made, downwards toward the hole. Sound familiar right? It should! Repeat this step until you have five points.
Tie off and weave in your ends. I noticed I liked using Red Heart's worsted weight yarn. It's nice and thick and the star you crochet will keep it's shape. I tried using soft yarns and thin yarns, and they didn't even compare. The burgundy and white yarns in the picture on the right are my favorite, and they were both RH yarn.
I hope you enjoyed this short crochet tutorial. 

Tune in tomorrow for a review of an awesome clutch from Lacy Lou Designs! I'm so excited!!! You can tell because I hardly ever use more than one or two exclamation points!!! :) Be sure to check out the awesome clutches she makes, because they seriously rock.

Also be sure to check out my newest advertiser, Dreaming Leo Designs! She makes absolutely beautiful, dainty jewelry... And she just recently marked a lot of her inventory 25% off!

Have a great week! I know I will!
-L

10 comments:

  1. you should make these into a garland! they would look so cute hanging in an office or reading nook, or over the bed!

    is there anything you can't crochet?

    xo nicole
    writeslikeagirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I'm so honored that you made some crochet stars! they would make cute earrings if they were made with a smaller hook! Can't wait to make 'em!

    <3 summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I made them with a pretty small hook, but maybe an even smaller one would work. Let me know how they work out!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Obsessed this is so so cute!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've totally reminded me that I need to find some time to learn to crochet. I've got to ask my mom if she's still got her crochet needles next time I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crocheting is really a ton of fun, Lisa. I bet you'd really enjoy it! There are a lot of easy projects/patterns for free on the web (scarves, necklaces, etc.) and there's also a ton of challenging projects. I, myself, haven't done too many challenging crochet projects, but I will tackle one some day!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. these are so cute! they remind me of starfish, i LOVE that rainbow one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They actually turned out a lot better than I thought they would!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!