April 24, 2013

Liz makes a mountain pillow

I'm still pretty stricken with grief over the loss of my friend, but have decided to continue with the blog. I don't feel 100%, and haven't been making things with love, therefore I decided to put my Etsy store on hiatus until further notice. I've had some emails asking if I'm going to make anymore Instagram pillows, and the answer is yes.. Just not for awhile. I don't think I can make something as intricate (and slightly frustrating) as those darn Instagram pillows quite yet. My heart just isn't in it. Anyway, I did make a different pillow yesterday. It's shaped like a mountain and even has a little "snow" on it. I was inspired by this pillow DIY on Design Sponge. Here's how I made it:

I used: a green pillow cases from the thrift store, one small (10" x 30" or so) white & textured piece of fabric I found at the thrift store, a large sheet of newspaper for the pattern, a sharpie (a dark pen will work too), scissors, my sewing machine, some poly-fil, and an always trusty needle and thread.
First, you'll need to draw the pattern. I honestly just sketched one by hand, but you can also follow the pattern that was on Design Sponge's tutorial. Cut it out and lie it on top of one of the pillowcases. Pin the pattern to the pillow case and cut.
Now cut the snow part off of the pattern,  pin it to the white fabric and cut it out. (If you can tell, I cut two of them and that's only because I'm making two pillows.)
Place it over the green mountain fabric, pin and sew. Now pin the mountain fabrics right side together and sew, making sure to sew below where you just sewed so the stitches don't show when you turn it right side out. Also, make sure you leave part of the bottom open so you can turn it right side out. Now you need to cut the corners and trim the seam allowance so it doesn't get all lumpy.
Turn inside out and stuff. Sew the bottom of the pillow by hand.  
Cut all the strings, and place it on your couch!
Hope you enjoy.
Love, Liz

11 comments:

  1. I knew you were gonna do that and I am soooo glad you did this is the coolest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw it and immediately wanted to make it.
      Liz

      Delete
  2. you always come up with the cutest things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks so lovely :) You are super creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss darling. This pillow is so cute! I go to school in the city, but home is in the mountains for me. I should totalaly make this to have at school with me to remember home!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliette. Tyler and I would love to live in the mountains! We live in a "mountain town" right now, but it's huge! I would love to live in a small town in the mountains one day. :)
      Liz

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Even though it's mundane: great pillow!

    Have a good weekend,

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz,
    I'm new to sewing. Could you explain what you meant by:
    making sure to sew below where you just sewed so the stitches don't show when you turn it right side out?"
    Are you saying that I should stitch around (or outside) the peak stitching?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!