April 13, 2015

Liz makes a yarn wreath

We've lived in this new place for three months now and I finally decided it was time to put a wreath on the door. I shopped around for some Spring-related wreaths, but I learned something... Wreaths are expensive! Here'show you can make one for basically nothing.

You'll need a cardboard box. I grabbed a big mixing bowl out of my kitchen cabinet and traced around it on a Girl Scout cookie box. I cut it out with a box cutter.
I turned the bowl over and traced a smaller circle and cut it out. Now it looks like a wreath shape! I ended up making two cardboard wreath forms in order to make the wreath that much sturdier.
Wrap the make-shift wreath form with yarn. This will take a little while, but you can do it while watching TV or something.
Now to make the newspaper flowers... Grab four pieces of paper that are equal in size -- 4" tall and 10" wide. Fold them all together in half. Tape the opening closed. Cut the folded side almost all the way up -- leave about 1/4" uncut.
If you cut all the way across, it should look like this.
Roll it up from end to end and tape it so it stays put.
Fan out the petals so it looks flower-like.
Hot glue the flowers to the wreath and hang in on the front door!
It's that easy. A few simple steps and you have a wreath for pretty much zero dollars.
Have a great week!
Love, Liz

4 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! Thanks for stopping by It's Always Ruetten and leaving a comment on my Hawaiian Pizza Pasta recipe! It's always exciting to find another blogger in Albuquerque since there are so few of us! I love your blog and LOVE this wreath! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Julia! Maybe we can collaborate on some posts some time -- I think that might be fun!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!