April 8, 2015

Liz makes graduation cap mason jar decorations

So I will be graduating from college in 31 days, 6 hours, 24 minutes... Not that I'm counting. A ton of my family is coming to town to watch me get my diploma and we're going to have a big party. I've been making some party decorations lately (even though I should probably be doing some homework) because I'm just so darn excited. Here are some cute graduation cap mason jar decorations that take less than two minutes each to make.

To make them, you'll need mason jars, black construction paper, invisible tape, embroidery thread, scissors, measuring tape and a pencil.
First, you'll need to measure the mouth of your mason jar. I had three different sizes, but the wide-mouth jars were about 11" in circumference.
Cut a piece of paper (using your measuring tape and pencil to see how much you need) about 1" longer than the circumference and 1" tall. Tape it around the mason jar, but not to the mason jar.
Cut a square of black construction paper big enough to look like a graduation cap. For my mason jars, 5 1/2" was good.
Take the circle off the mason jar and tape it to the square.
Now we're going to make a tassel and it's going to take two seconds. Okay, maybe a little longer. Get a strand of embroidery floss that's still wrapped up like when you bought it. It costs maybe at the most 30 cents for embroidery thread, so you'll be spending 15 cents on each tassel. Tie a string through the loop on one end of the embroidery thread. Then tie a string around .25" below the top of the thread, knot it, wrap it, and knot it again. Cut the excess off.
Now cut the embroidery floss in half. You can make another tassel from the other side.
Tape your tassel to the top of your cap.
Now cut a circle out of the black construction paper. It doesn't have to be perfect.
And tape it on top of the cap, hiding the tassel.
Now set it on your mason jar!
I like that the caps are removable, so you can fill them with stuff. I think I'll eventually buy little marbles or something, but for fun I placed coffee beans, jelly beans and paper clips into three of them and placed an LED candle on top. I think it looks pretty cute!
I loved making these because it was easy, fast and cute. I hope you all have a great week!
Love, Liz

6 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!