May 12, 2013

Liz makes some easy felt feathers


Yesterday, I made some super easy felt feathers. I was totally inspired by this upcoming Etsy shop, The Opulent Nest. I love her feather art prints. Since feathers are so in right now, I decided to try and take a whack at making some myself. Here's how I did it!

I used a few sheets of felt, a pair of scissors, this pattern, a pen and last but not least.. my flat iron! (You can also use a regular iron, but I figured that would have been more work!)
First, cut out some feathers by using this pattern. Then, you'll need to grab a feather with one hand and fold it in half.
After that, grab your already-heated flat iron and iron those babies until there is a nice crease! Don't hold the flat iron on the felt for too long. Hold it just as long as you'd hold it on your own hair!
See how nice they look? I decided not flat-ironing the stem part of the feather looked better, like on the yellow feather.
Well there you have it! A super easy tutorial on how to make felt feathers. You could use these for so many projects, like a feather garland or a cat toy.. The possibilities are endless! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and have a great weekend.
Love, Liz

8 comments:

  1. This is so so lovely! I love feathers and you can totally do so much with these!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like them! I would probably use them for fun decorations or maybe even a Thanksgiving craft for kids!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. I'm addicted to feathers! I'm going to try making some paper ones soon for some craft projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the feather stamp you made -- it rocked!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. aww these are so cute!

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hannah! And thanks for stopping by to comment!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. i feel like you should use these to make archery arrows. also i should be less addicted to the hunger games :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, awesome idea! And while I'm making them, may the odds be ever in my favor!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!