January 25, 2015

Liz makes a newspaper-covered Styrofoam head

My mom gave me this Styrofoam head awhile back so when I crochet hats or headbands, I'd have something to put them on when I take pictures. It's gotten a few punctures and scratches here and there, like Styrofoam happens to get after awhile, so I decided it was time to give it a make-over.

I used newspaper to cover it, but you could use comic book strips, gift wrapping paper, tissue paper, etc. Besides the paper, you'll need a Styrofoam head, glue and some scissors. You could use decopauge glue, but I stuck with good ol' Elmer's and it worked fine.
Cut your paper into little pieces. I kept mine in paragraphs for the most part.
Now it's time to start gluing!
It will look a little funky at first when the glue is still wet, but keep going because it will look good eventually. Also, take mini breaks so the glue can dry periodically, or else you'll have wet, gluey pieces of paper on top of wet, gluey pieces of paper and it'll get all gloppy. I like to make up my own words.
Keep going until it's all covered. You'll have to use smaller pieces around the bumpy features, like the eyes, nose and mouth.
Let it dry for a little while before putting it to use.
Pretty cool, right? I so love it. It's kind of creepy at first, but once you stick a hat or a headband on it, it looks just plain awesome.
Have a great week!
Love, Liz

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!