January 7, 2014

Liz makes chocolate chip cookies without butter: take two

My most popular post of all time is my chocolate chip cookies without butter. They're made with vegetable oil instead of butter and people go search-crazy for those babies. I wanted to make them again today, but I didn't have enough vegetable oil nor did I have butter! What is wrong with me? What I did have was some vegetable shortening. These cookies taste so much more butter-y than the vegetable oil recipe, because they're made with butter-flavored vegetable shortening. Yummo! I adapted this recipe from this Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

These are the ingredients you will need:
3/4 stick of a butter-flavored vegetable shortening baking stick 
OR 3/4 cup of vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups granulated (white) sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 large egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chocolate chips*

*You can choose to add more, but I only had one cup. 
Also, feel free to add one tablespoon of vanilla extract. It was in the original recipe, but I didn't have any.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Combine shortening, sugar and milk in a large bowl. After that's mixed, beat in your egg.
Combine flour, salt and baking soda mix in a different bowl and then add it into the shortening mixture until just blended.
Using an ice scream scooper, drop small balls of cookie dough onto an ungreased cookie dough. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes if you want soft cookies or 11 to 13 minutes for crisp cookies. Let cool on the baking sheet for two or so minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
These cookies were pretty crumby. And when I say crumby, I don't mean crummy because they were down right delicious, but they produced quite a few crumbs.
Happy baking!
Liz

7 comments:

  1. I love baking, actually, me mom and I just made chocolate chip cookies a few days ago! I think that next time, I'll try your recipe!!

    <3 summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good way to start the new year off right with a no butter cookie! Must try these when I get a chance! :)

    Emily
    ahemitsemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably mention that shortening is not a healthier replacement for butter. I would say they're equivalent, but some would argue. Either way, don't eat a lot of cookies if you want to lose weight.
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Well, Marlen, both aren't exactly good for you. Butter and vegetable shortening are both high in unsaturated fat, which is bad, and oil and margarine are often thought to be high in trans fats, which aren't good for you either.
    I'm going to try and find some recipes using olive oil or coconut oil, which are healthier alternatives. Either way, butter, vegetable oil and vegetable shortening are fine in moderation. Thank you for stopping by!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! These look great. I've never use shortening before but will have to try.
    xo Dina
    http://www.sweetestsomethings.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!