July 4, 2013

Liz makes a pair of simple shorts

Remember that time when my mom mailed me a ton of fabric? Well I do, and this awesome floral print was among that awesome collection and I knew I had to do something special with it. Since it's getting way too hot here in good ol' New Mexico, I decided to make a pair of shorts. Oh, by the way, we're going to Kentucky at the end of the month (the same week as my birthday!), and I betcha I'll need some brand new shorts there too. Here's how I made them and how you can make them too:
You'll need a yard of fabric, a pair of shorts that fit well, a large sheet of newspaper (or gift wrap or tracing paper or just about anything you can use to draw a pattern on), a marker, a safety pin, a sewing machine, scissors and enough elastic to go around your waist (I used sport elastic; it rocks!).
First grab your sheet of newspaper or whatever, and place your folded pair of shorts on top of it. Make sure the crotch of the shorts are totally pulled out. As you can tell, this is not a pair of shorts. It's a jumper I got from Walmart for a dollar once. Anyway, that works too. Trace around them, making sure to leave seam allowance! If your shorts have an elastic waist, stretch them out as you trace.
Cut out the pattern piece and make four identical pieces. It looks like I only have two lying on the floor in this picture, but I really have four. They're on top of each other.
Now place two of them right sides together and sew along the dotted lines. Do the same for the other two.
Now unfold them and place them right sides together. Sew along the dotted lines. These are the sides of your shorts.
Keeping them right sides together, sew along these dotted lines. This will be the crotch of your shorts.
Now to make an elastic casing, fold the waist over twice, making sure the elastic will fit. Pin in place and sew, leaving a two inch gap for the next step.
With the safety pin attached to one end of the elastic, slide it through the casing. Pull both ends out afterwards and sew them together.
Before you sew the gap closed, grab a small piece of ribbon, fold it in half and pin it under the gap. This will act as a make-shift tag so you know where the back of your shorts are! My mom taught me that little trick forever ago. She's a genius.
To make the hem, fold over twice, pin in place and sew.
Now you have a pair of shorts! In this picture, they look a little lop-sided, but they actually match. I promise!
See! I told you. This is Tyler, my awesome boyfriend.
We took a ton of pictures at the park today. Oh yeah, happy birthday, America!
Then things got weird...
...And we did a lot of jumping.
Oh, here's us jumping again!
And this was fun too. 
Anyway, I hope you guys have a great holiday weekend! I know I will. I'm planning to see friends I haven't seen in a long time. Have fun and be responsible everyone!
And if you happen to have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you make these shorts with my tutorial, I'd love to see your finished product! Oh, and sorry I'm not sorry for all of the pictures. What can I say? We had a fun day. :)

PS, you'll also notice that I bought my own domain name! Yay! No more pesky ".blogspot" for this girl. :D
-L

13 comments:

  1. You two are such cuties! These shorts are PERFECTION. Like seriously so impressive! I need a sewing machine sew (haha) badly. I made a bustier, and sewing by hand was a pain! I might just have to make these! Once I get a sewing machine!
    Hope your fourth was wonderful!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sew much, Juliette! :D And totally buy a sewing machine. (Or ask for one for Christmas like I did one year!) They totally rock and are much better than sewing by hand.
      Hope YOUR fourth was wonderful!
      Liz

      Delete
  2. Great job! I would love to make my own shorts! I have a sewing machine, but I still haven't figured out how to use it yet.....hahahh :) Happy Fourth of July, and it's great to hear that you have your own domain now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well get that sewing machine out and start sewing, silly! Thanks for stopping by!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. Belated Happy 4th:) And I wish I can sew. These shorts turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy. And just so you know, everyone can sew! :)
      Liz

      Delete
  4. awww you 2 look like you had so much fun. also those shorts are perfect! love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! :) Thanks for stopping by!
      Liz

      Delete
    2. Whoa! What a great pair of shorts. Your mom sent you *cute* fabric. Hope your holiday was wonderful!

      Delete
  5. Whoa! Love this pair of shorts. Your mom sent you keep fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow these are cute! I think that I would make them longer and then crochet some lace on the edge! Thanks and keep up the good work!

    <3 summer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!