March 20, 2013

Liz makes vegetarian enchiladas

Today is my boyfriend, Tyler's, birthday! I decided to make him enchiladas. A couple of weeks ago, I came across an enchilada recipe from Stay For Dinner that uses salsa instead of enchilada sauce. I changed the recipe up a tad and Tyler has since called them Salsalades (pronounced salsa-lah-dez, like enchiladas). Here's how to make them yourself:
Ingredients:
6 tortillas (burrito-sized)
24 oz. salsa
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 bell pepper, diced
1 package rice (I used Spanish Rice a Roni)
2 cans pinto beans (drained & rinsed)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook your rice according to package directions. After rice is done cooking, mix in your diced bell pepper, rinsed pinto beans, 1 cup cheese and a third of your salsa.
Pour another third of the salsa on the bottom a 9x13 baking pan.
Lay out six tortillas and fill with mixture evenly. Spread more cheese on top if desired.
Fold burrito style and fit all six tortillas next to each other in the pan.
Cover with remaining rice mix, remaining salsa, and cup of cheese.
Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
Just to let you know, these were the best enchiladas we have ever had. No joke. Usually it takes two and a half enchiladas (burrito-sized) to fill us up, but I only ate one and Tyler ate one and a half. The rice is extremely filling and not to mention muy delicioso, if I may say so myself.

Also, I'll be posting about the outfit I'm wearing tomorrow, so stay tuned!
Love, Liz

15 comments:

  1. those look (and sound) amazing! i love enchiladas and burritos


    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ;)
    xx
    Katha

    showthestyle.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHAHAHA your last photo it's so funny :D

    They look tasty :)

    Kisses

    Sofia G

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm these looks great and you are so cute! hooray for vegetarian foods too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I've been a vegetarian for six years now. I love making vegetarian food, especially Mexican vegetarian food!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. Ima have to try this I LOOOVE THE LAST PIC BTW <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! You really should, they rock! Let me know how they turn out.. Or better yet, let's all eat them together!
      Liz

      Delete
  6. this looks delicious! i've been looking for a good vegetarian enchilada for a while and i think this is it!
    ~niki <3
    http://youngandimmortal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Niki! And honestly, they taste a lot better than they look. They also taste great the next day after being nuked for a couple of minutes. I hope you decided to make them! Let me know how they turn out for you.
      Liz

      Delete
  7. Thanks for posting! I love food like this (burritos, quesodillas, enchilladas). I'm glad it's a vegetarian one as I am a vegetarian!

    (p.s. posting a DIY tomorrow, always makes me think of you!)

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I didn't know you were a vegetarian?! I am too and have been for about six years now. I'll be sure to check out your DIY. Can't wait! :)
      Liz

      Delete
  8. Thanks Evon! We just ate the leftovers after we nuked them, and they were even better!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!