July 14, 2013

Liz makes a tote bag out of t-shirts

I've won five contest on Instructables.com, and four of the prizes included t-shirts. After winning two t-shirts and getting medium sizes, I decided to get large sizes the next time I one something so I could make something pretty cool. I found a tutorial how to make this bag (although I did it slightly different) in the book Generation T. The book is full of 108 ways to transform a t-shirt. Pretty cool, huh? Anyway, so I made this bag and also a tutorial so you can make one too. So grab out all your old t-shirts and make a bunch of tote bags!

You'll need two medium or large t-shirts, a sewing machine, sewing pins, scissors and thread.
First, lie one shirt on top of the other, like this. Then cut the bottom (about 4"), then the sides, then the top off. Set the squares and the bottoms aside, but you can throw the rest away (unless you'll use them for another project).
So now you'll have four squares. Two fronts of two t-shirts, and two backs. Place them right sides together, so that the fronts are touching and the backs are on the outside. Pin and sew along the dotted lines.
Now grab the two bottom pieces you cut off earlier. They will be long tubes. Cut them so they become two long strips. Stretch them out so they can be used as longer handles instead of shorter handles.
Fold in half, pin and sew, using a zig-zag stitch. Turn inside out.
Turn the bag inside out. Pin the handles to the bag like so. Sew.
After that, turn the bag inside out and sew across the bottom, along the dotted line. Chop off any extra.
Now return to the top of the bag. Fold over the top twice, pin and sew. Now you have a nice little hem!
And now you're done. That wasn't too hard was it?
I plan to use this bag for my many trips to the public library. I always end up getting at least five books, and they're a bother to carry in my arms. This will be awesome!
I hope everyone has a great week. I know I will; my mom's coming to visit! And after that, Tyler and I are going to Kentucky! Get ready for a bunch of road trip pictures. :)
-L

8 comments:

  1. So clever! I've nomiated you for the Versatile Blogger Award, so if you are interested, check out this link! http://ahemitsemme.blogspot.com/2013/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is so impressive that you have won that many instructables contests! And this is so fun! I might just have to give it a try!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pretty lucky! And thank you, Juliette. Do it!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. WOW! I really like this,it may be in my favorite 5 posts! I might have to make this for the upcoming Utah fair this year!

    <3 summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Summer! :) Definitely make it and let me know how it turned out!
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!