July 12, 2013

Liz makes a Batman pillow

Last night, a friend asked me to make her a pillow to give to her friend in Canada! How sweet is that? She asked me to make the pillow Batman themed, and I said yes right away. I love making pop-culture pillows and I love making them out of felt! This is an easy project that even a novice sewer can whip it out in an hour or so.

Here's what you'll need:
1 sheet of bright yellow felt
Sewing pins
1 yard of black fabric -- you'll probably use less, but it's always better to be safe than sorry!
A sewing machine (or a needle and black thread)
Polyfil stuffing

First, cut out your fabric. You'll need to squares (or rectangles) or fabric. However big you're making it, you'll need to make a 1/2" - 1" seam allowance all the way around. Say, if you were going to make a 16" x 16" pillow and you wanted a 1" seam allowance all the way around, you'd want to cut out your fabric 18" x 18". Make sense? Now cut out your Batman logo pattern. You can use the one I linked, or you can use your own. Pin it to your yellow sheet of felt and cut it out. 
Pin the black Batman logo to the yellow background.
Sew it in place. Be sure to pick up your presser foot every now and then for the curves and turns.
Now pin it to one of your black pieces of fabric and sew.
Now place right sides together of the black squares/rectangles of fabric and sew all the way around, making sure to leave a gap open at the bottom.
Turn right side out and stuff it until it's.. well.. stuffed!
Ladder stitch the opening closed. Now you have a pillow! :)
Have a great weekend.
-L

11 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love Batman, he is one of my favorite superheros! Maybe you could make some with other superhero's logos! Can't wait for your next post!

    <3summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah great idea! A friend asked me to make this for her, which is why I didn't make all of the superhero logos, but that would be fun. :)
      Liz

      Delete
  2. Hey sweety! Sorry for late reply as i was away from blogging world! Thanks for stopping by though.. This is such a amazing post to observe! Utterly like it! And sure following you too! New post on my blog (: Stop by me soon! xx

    With love .
    www.fashionholicsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's just fine. Thank you for stopping by MY blog! :)
      Liz

      Delete
  3. It turned out so wonderfully! Once I get my hands on a sewing machine maybe I'll make one for my brother! He is a huge batman fan!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love my sewing machine. I can just picture something in my mind and head to my sewing machine to make it a reality. Pretty cool if you ask me!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. THIS IS TOO COOL! *Linda contemplates making pillow despite being awful at crafts...* xx

    http://thecurvygirlinthecorner.blogspot.com

    P.S. Liked this post on Bloglovin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOBODY is awful at crafts! Crafts, along with everything else, just take practice.
      :)
      Liz

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!